Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Just when you think you've seen everything: Sweater for earphone


This is "Untangled", a pattern by Samira Qureshi published in SamQ Ravelry Downloads. It's a cover for earplugs.



Yeah, yeah, I know… Who in the world would knit such a thing? That’s what I first thought.
But then I had a very stressful day, and I totally needed to knit. And I needed to see results. Some smoke, some take pills… I use my (knitting) needles.
So I took my old earphones and started knitting. I didn’t even read the whole pattern. Just knitted the i-cord with 3 stitches, doubled the number or stitches (kfb) went it came to the pivoting point where right and left ear bud come together. Then continued one side with 3st and left 3st to make the other side later. Oh, and I didn’t cover the microphone/control.
The project turned out to be a bit slower than what I expected. Taking the earphone cable out of the way after every 3rd stitch sucks. 
I'm happy with the result. It feels good, it looks cool. My husband says it looks like a shoelace, and that's what I like about it. It looks a bit surreal.
I always have the problem that my earphone’s cables freeze in the winter, and I think this may help a little bit, but I'm not sure. At least it’s true what they said, the cables don’t tangle anymore!
"Untangle your earbuds, knit this cover, then never untangle them again!"

I might make another one for my airplane earplugs ;)


1 comment:

Carrie#K said...

I love mine. It's not so much a sweater for earbuds as it really keeps the da-- thing from tangling.